Digitalization Triple IV: Augmented Reality – A laboratory series on the topic of the independent performing arts in the digital age
Application Deadline: September 20, 2019
The Digitalization Triple is intended for artists and culture makers within the independent performing arts community who would like to research questions and strategies exploring the relationship between the performing arts and augmented reality.
Digitalization is omnipresent. It has changed the conceptualization, production, distribution and reception of art and culture. In doing so, the analogue has not shifted out of the focus of artists and culture makers - to the contrary, an increasing number of artists have been interested for a number of years in augmented reality, precisely because this technology allows a combination of both worlds. Artistic spaces and communication media have become potential projection areas for digital content.
In cooperation with the project AURORA – Anwendungs- und Weiterbildungszentrum für Augmented Reality (Application and Further Education Center for Augmented Reality) of the Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft (HTW Berlin - University of Applied Sciences), the fourth Digitalization Triple, Augmented Reality, explores the opportunities for the performing arts within the modern digital world and researches this topic by using new technologies, new working structures and new narratives. This promotes the exchange of knowledge and practice between the worlds of art, software development and science.
The primary focus will be placed on the following questions:
- How does current artistic work reflect technological questions for the modern digital age?
- How do basic components of theater, such as the role of the performer or the position of the audience, change through the use of augmented reality?
- What are opportunities and risks of artistic research with augmented reality?
- What are existing augmented reality solutions from the performing arts and how can our own realizations be developed building upon these solutions?
- The Digitalization Triple is made up of two lab days and a public exchange.
We ask you to submit a resume that illustrates your professional/artistic development as well as a statement of motivation (application form) which discusses your motivation for participating in the Digitalization Triple. Your questions regarding the relationship of art and augmented reality should be clearly stated in the statement of motivation.
The application deadline is September 20, 2019.
Please submit applications via email to: beratung(at)pap-berlin.de
When: October 16 & 17, 2019, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Location: AURORA, School of Artists, Wilhelminenhofstraße 75A, 12459 Berlin Building H | Room 202
In the lab, the selected participants will work together with programmers and scholars and their project and the specific questions.
When: October 23, 2019, 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Location: State Studios Berlin
(Participation is mandatory, please be sure to keep the date free)
Digitalization Triple I-III
The laboratory series Digitalization Triple has a total of 3 content-based focuses:
Digitalization Triple I: "Artistic Space" (concluded)
The Digitalization Triple I: Artistic Space took place from November 2016 to February 2017 and invited artists and culture makers of the independent performing arts community to examine their questions dealing with artistic space:
- What realms of possibility does digitalization open for the artistic space of the independent performing arts beyond digital theater marketing and the complete collection by the creative industry?
- How does the connection between the performing arts and digitalization produce truly fantastic forms of performance?
Digitalization Triple II: "Illustrative Space" (concluded)
The Digitalization Triple II "Illustrative Space" invited artists and culture makers from October 2017 to January 2018 to (further) develop specific questions/ideas regarding the depiction and/or documentation of their art in digital space:
- How does digitalization affect the illustrative space of art?
- What relevance and what opportunities exist in the archiving and use of digital copies?
Digitalization Triple III: "Political Space" (application process ongoing)
To the Archive